The result of more than twenty years' collaborative work focusing on the heart of successful parenting, the acclaimed five disciplines program developed by Drs. Robert L. Johnson and Paulette Stanford has helped thousands of African-American children and their parents cope with the myriad of social challenges they confront each day. Now making this special prescription available to all parents, Strength for Their Journey offers insight into five interconnected areas:
• Traditional Discipline: The Strength to Embrace Parental Boundaries
• Racial Discipline: The Strength to Negotiate the Realities of Being a Racial Minority
• Emotional Discipline: The Strength to Resist Negative Peer Pressure and Temptation
• Practical Discipline: The Strength to Excel in School, Career, and Financial Pursuits
• Mind-Body Discipline: The Strength to Maintain Positive Physical, Mental, and Spiritual Health
In a culture that often grants fewer safety nets to nonwhite children, Strength for Their Journey is a crucial book that African-American parents can turn to again and again, paving a path of confidence and joy for future generations.