Learn the core principles of socialism -- one of the world's most misunderstood ideologies -- with this easy-to-follow guide for today's political conversation.
From Bernie Sanders' presidential campaign to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's Green New Deal, the U.S. is witnessing a leftward shift that hasn't been seen for decades. But how many Americans truly understand socialism and socialist principles? The New Socialist Handbook
is a simple way to learn about this political system and bear witness to its current movement with an educated and informed mind. It discusses topics such as:
- Different types of socialism (democratic socialism vs. social democracy vs. eco-socialism, etc.);
- How socialism became a dirty word;
- Which countries are socialist or have socialist programs;
- The way socialism exists in the U.S. today (Medicare, Social Security, etc.);
- Socialist suggestions for today's issues (healthcare, infrastructure, economy, etc.);
- What can you do to bring about change? (getting involved in politics, educating yourself, demonstrating, etc.)
Perfect for the engaged voter or the armchair political scientist, pundit, enthusiast, or anyone simply looking to get a better intellectual grasp on socialism, The New Socialist Handbook
gives meaning and definition to the commonly misunderstood. Author Dan Tucker breaks down these topics in a clear, accessible way and without a political slant. Readers will come away with a better understanding of the history of socialism and what it means in our world today.